CIS 1055 Objectives
* Understand the concept of computer programs and algorithms.
* Understand the components of a computer system
* Understand how to use a computer's system and utility software efficiently and effectively.
* Understand how computer systems are used (e-commerce, data processing, information systems, computing, modeling, etc).
* Understand the development of the technology behind computers and computer networks, the Internet and how this technology is likely to change.
* Examine the impact that the Internet has had and may have globally, nationally and individually.
* Identify the most common input, output, storage, and communication devices.
* Explain what to consider when purchasing and maintaining a computer system.
* Discussing current computer technology.
* Discuss search resources, how to evaluate information found on the World Wide Web and how to properly cite web references.
* Discussion of IT history to provide a context for discussion as well as comparison of the technology of today and the technology of the past.
* To have an appreciation of ethical and societal issues including security, privacy, and the use and misuse of information.
Laboratory (Skills) Objectives
* To develop a website using sound design techniques to publish course documents and incorporate multi-media components.
* To have a basic understanding of Operating System software.
* To have a working knowledge of collaborative software including E-Mail, Listserv, E-bulletin boards and to participate in a discussion group.
* To be able to use spreadsheet software (Excel) to analyze numerical and statistical data, present data in chart format and publish numerical data to the World Wide Web.
* To be able to use presentation software (PowerPoint) to develop a multi-media presentation based on researching a specific topic and publishing the presentation on the World Wide Web.